Updating Your Security System When Employees Leave
August 21, 2021
When employees or vendors come and go from your business, it’s important to know how to update your security system to keep things secure. Otherwise, the very thing keeping you secure may become a point of contention, causing undue worry and fear.
Regardless of whether employees are asked to leave or leave on their own, there are steps each business owner will want to take in the name of security. This is not to say there is always cause for concern but, in our experience, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Confiscate their access control card
- Reprogram their access control card (especially important in the event you are not able to get it back but this should be done 100% of the time)
- Delete their username
- Change the primary password
- Relocate your cameras or shuffle things up a bit in a way that makes sense for your business
- Revisit all points of entry to ensure they’re secure
- Contact your security services provider if the employee was listed as a point of contact on your account
- Communicate their absence and restrictions to the remainder of your staff so as not to fall prey to a familiar face
There is a lot to think about when people move on so we wanted to provide you with an easy reference tool when the time comes. Contact us for assistance with any of the above security tips!